Alan M. Jacobs, PhD, PG
Professor, Department of Physics, Astronomy, Geology, & Environmental Science (PAGES)
Youngstown State University, Youngstown, OH 44555
Telephone: (330) 941-2933; email: email@example.com
Indiana University, Bloomington
Geology and Ecology PhD 1967
Indiana University, Bloomington
Geology MA 1965
The City College, City University of New York
Geology BS (Honors) 1963
Appointments/ Departments/ Institutions/ Years
Geological & Environ. Sciences, Youngstown State University, 1996-present
Professor, 2003-present; Chair, 2005-2008; Associate Prof. 1996-2003. Director, Environmental Studies Programs, 1996-2005.
Director, Environmental Assessment, Paul C. Rizzo Assoc., 1993-1995
President Consultant, GEOPROBE, 1979-1996
Part-time Instructor, Dept. Civil/Env. Engr., Carnegie Mellon University, 1987-2019
Project Manager, Geoscience, International Technology. Corp., 1988-1993
Sr. Project Geologist, D’Appolonia Consulting Engrs., 1974-1981
Asst. Prof. Scientist, Areal Geology Section, Illinois State Geological Survey, 1967-1974
(Jacobs published over 50 publications (12 since joining YSU in 1996), presented over 10 oral/poster presentations at conferences, and is author or co-author of 4 textbooks, 2 instructional novels, and one book of science poems.)
Most recent publications (21st Century):
Jacobs, Alan M. and Sarah Waldinger, 2011, “Vinyl Chloride Contamination in Aquifers at U.S. NPL Sites Correlated with Incidence of Liver Cancer,” Oral Presentation, 4th International Conference on Medical Geology, Bari, Italy, September 20-25, 2011
Jacobs, Alan M., 2011, “Liver Cancer Linked to Vinyl Chloride Contamination at NPL Sites in Maryland and Delaware,” Oral Presentation, Geological Soc. Am. Joint Meeting (Northeast and Northcentral Sections), Pittsburgh, PA, March 2011
Jacobs, Alan M. and Michael Bolan, 2008, Recycling: Comparing Practices from Pordenone Province, Italy with Mahoning County, Ohio, USA. Poster, NSF Presentation, YSU.
1. Sabbatical Leave: Genoa, Italy, 2003-04, lecturing and research, University of Genoa and D’Appolonia S.p.A. (Collaborators: Mr. Marco Cremonini, Engineer-Manager, D'Appolonia; Professor F. Siccardi, Univ. Genova (Savona); Professor M. DelBorghi, Univ. Genova)
2. Summer Abroad Program to Italy. Environmental Science. Florence, Rome, and Vico Equense. May 22-June 20, 2007. (Collaborators: Dr. Iole Checconi (Ret.), Professor of Italian Language, Dr. M. Pallante, Professor of History, Dr. D. DeBlasio, Professor of History, YSU)
3. Ohio EPA- Funded Project: Environmental Education for Adult Audiences Using Theatrical Presentation: May 1, 1997 - October 31, 1998. (Collaborator: Dr. Dennis Henneman, Professor (Ret.) of Theater, YSU)
4. Masters of Public Health: Course Director, Synchronous Distance Learning, Environmental Health Sciences. (2001-present). (Collaborator: Mr. DuWayne Porter, Health Commissioner, Portage Co. Ohio)
5. Taught Engineering Geology Module and Physical Geology: Part-time Instructor, Carnegie Mellon University, 1987-2019. (Collaborators: Drs. Enrique Bazan and James Kilburg, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, CMU).
Funded YSU Foundation Scholarship Awards from Textbook Royalties (2012-2020 ~$20,000)
1. Oliver Fisher, M.S. 2006. Environmental Studies, 2005-2006, “Measuring future liability of Ohio brownfields as a function of site cleanup levels.”
2. Michael Bolan, M.S. 2009, Environmental Studies, 2008-2009, “Recycling: Comparing practices and regulations between European Union and the US.”
3. Dalton Campana, M.S. 2019, Environmental Studies, 2018-2019, "Spatial and temporal trends of trace elements in tree cores along the industrial Mahoning River, Northeast Ohio"
· Geology & Environmental Science, 2009-2010 (Heavy Metals Analysis of Devonian Rocks)
· Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program (COFSP): 2010-2011 (Vinyl Chloride and Liver Cancer);
2011-2012 (Heavy Metals Analysis of Mahoning River Bank Sediments); 2013-2014 (Heavy Metal Particulates in the Breathing Zone of YSU Classrooms).
Has Taught Undergraduate Courses in Geology and Environmental Science: Introductory, Stratigraphy and Sedimentation, Geology for Engineers, Environmental Regulations, Environmental Safety, Sampling, Risk Assessment, Environmental Chemistry.
Has Taught Graduate and Graduate/Upper Level (Swing) Courses
ENST 5830 - Toxicology and Risk Assessment
ENST 5800 - Environmental Impact Assessment
ENST 6990 - Industrial and Institutional Management for the Environmental Professional
MPH 6900 - Environmental Health Sciences
ENST 6900 - Advanced Environmental Studies
ENST 6901 - Sources of Contamination
Achievements Prior to Joining Faculty at YSU
1. Consulting projects throughout the United States and in Italy, Spain, Sweden, Venezuela, the Caspian Sea Coast, Pakistan, and Korea;
2. Developed specialized techniques and hardware for underground and underwater television probes used in boreholes, monitoring wells, and mines;
3. Developed a cooperative program with West Virginia University to offer graduate level courses in environmental sciences at the office (IT Corporation) after hours;
4. New York State Regents Scholarship in Science and Engineering (1959-63), NASA Traineeship (1964-67); Teaching Assistantships and Associateships at Indiana University (1963-67), the Certificate of Merit from the American Institute of Professional Geologists (1984).